This is a day trip from Auckland and Tauranga to Hobbiton Movie Set. See the Hobbit holes and the fully reconstructed hobbit village; tour the sheep farm; taste NZ made cheeses; finish with a hot swim.
• Two hour guided tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set
• Complimentary drink at the Green Dragon pub
The rolling pasture covered hills of the Waikato region you’ll travel through on your way to Hobbiton, owe their fertility to the volcanic soil erupted from Lake Taupo only 2000 years ago. Now the setting for New Zealand’s richest dairy farmland, this area used to be forested with giant kahikatea trees, still visible in isolated groups among the rich green fields.
A Hobbiton Movie Set Tour is a real must-do for every Lord of the Rings fan travelling through New Zealand. Your tour starts with a drive through the picturesque working sheep farm with spectacular views across the Kaimai Ranges. Your guide will explain how the Hobbiton set was created and tell stories about what went on during filming. The Hobbiton movie set was recently fully restored for filming of the Hobbit. There’s no better time to visit.
Your last stop today, before heading home will be at the Te Aroha Hot Pools, in the shadow of the highest mountain in the Kaimai Ranges, Mt. Te Aroha (952 m). Te Aroha township was developed during the 1880s as a spa town and there are 22 springs in the area, 15 of which are hot. The domain at Te Aroha still retains the look of Edwardian times.
Wear: trainers, comfortable clothes (not DENIM JEANS) sunscreen.
Bring: swimsuit, towel, lunch, drink, snacks, camera, sunscreen, warm, waterproof jacket and change of shoes.
• Pick up and drop off in Tauranga and Auckland at one or two locations pre-arranged to best suit students involved
• All activities described in itinerary unless marked optional.
• Comfortable, air-conditioned coach.
• Friendly, professional guides.
• Access to our national parks
• Pre-trip information
Trip fees exclude
• Optional extra activities like bungy jumping.
• Personal expenses (phone, wifi, lunches, etc.